It’s relatively easy to install patches and updates on a standalone VMware ESXi 5.1 host.
- Get the update(s) from the VMware Patch Portal
- Upload the zip files to your datastore.
- Shutdown all of your virtual machines and put the host in maintenance mode.
- Connect to your host using an SSH client (make sure SSH is enabled on your host).
- Use the command: # esxcli software vib install -d “/vmfs/volumes/Datastore/DirectoryName/PatchName.zip” to install the patch. Where “PatchName.zip” is the name of the patch file you uploaded to the datastore.
For example: # esxcli software vib install -d “/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/patch-directory/ESXi500-201111001.zip”
- It can take a while to install a patch if you’re using a slow USB storage device or SD card where your ESXi installation is located.
- After the installation you’ll get a message that the installation has successfully completed.
- Reboot your host.